Vice President of Finance & Administration
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Marietta College in its search for Vice President of Finance & Administration (VPFA).
For full consideration, please apply by October 18th.
Marietta College, a thriving and collegial liberal arts college set in a beautiful location, seeks a seasoned financial professional well versed in complex financial environments and armed with innovative organizational planning strategies to serve as Vice President of Finance & Administration. This is an exciting opportunity to join a collaborative team enjoying full support from top administration. The successful candidate understands institutional priorities and is well versed in complex budgeting strategies and planning, revenue streams, funding mechanisms, and enjoys serving in an advisory role offering suggestions and guidance to senior leaders. The ideal leader is highly collaborative and excels in building and maintaining relationships across an organization.
Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President for Finance & Administration is responsible for, oversees, directs, and leads in the following functional areas of the College:
- Financial planning and budgeting.
- Accounting and business operations.
- Financial reports and audits.
- Treasury functions.
- Facilities management, including planning and construction.
- Procurement and contracting.
- Auxiliary operations and services.
- Information technology.
- Campus safety.
- Risk management.
- State and Federal reporting.
- Articulating and implementing a strategic plan for Finance and Administrative Services which aligns with the College's strategic plan.
In addition to internal management responsibilities, the VPFA must have the ability to communicate and work productively with colleagues and the Board of Trustees. Serves as the liaison and support to the Finance, Investments, Audit and Administrative Operations, and Compensation committees of the Board.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides financial and business expertise on a day-to-day basis. Advises the President and other College leaders.
- Consults as needed with colleagues to make wise and timely decisions regarding the acquisition, use, monitoring and disposal of institution assets.
- Provides staff liaison support and expertise to the Board of Trustees in the areas of finance, investments, facilities operation, construction and renovation, information technology, risk management, and financial and facilities planning. Specifically provides staff support to the Finance Committee, the Administrative Operations Committee, the Investment Committee, and the Audit Committee. Participates in other Board of Trustee committees at the discretion of the President.
- Administers through directors and staff the following operations – Physical Plant, Business Office, Financial Affairs, Endowment Accounting Management, Payroll, Information Technology, Bookstore, Food Service, Mail Room, Telecommunication, Insurance and Risk Management. Develops and maintains policies, procedures, and practices in each area that are consistent with best business practice and the needs of the College.
- Serves on standing operations committees and ad hoc committees at the discretion of the President.
- In collaboration with the President and other College leaders, assures the development of a balanced annual operating budget proposal subject to Board approval as well as a rolling five-year budget plan. Assures ongoing and careful monitoring of cash flow and divisional use of budgeted resources. Recommends tuition, fee, room, and board rates based on market conditions and institutional needs. Assures annual balancing of the operating budget.
- Facilitates major construction projects by coordinating project activities, including but not limited to, internal project committee selection, architect selection, committee-architect design meetings, architect contract negotiation, builder selection, builder contract negotiation, temporary operations, and related accommodations, project reporting, and project financing (debt acquisition) and cash management.
- Works closely with the President and members of the President’s Cabinet to administer the College, including the establishment of policies, procedures, and practices. Work with the President, Cabinet and Planning Committees to assess current programs and functions and to plan future programs and functions.
- Administers all financial and business operations and planning through the Controller and the Business Office staff, including general accounting, reporting and audit functions, accounts receivable (student accounts), accounts payable, cashier and bursar, procurement, cash management debt management, and banking relations.
- Administers all physical plant operations and planning through the Director of Physical Plant, including daily operations and maintenance of facilities and grounds, utility management, facility construction and renovation, building services, grounds maintenance and landscaping, building systems management, space utilization and planning, telecommunications.
- Administers all information technology operations and planning through the CIO including daily IT operating and programming, maintenance of hardware, software and campus networks, progressive upgrades of hardware, software and networks to maintain pace with advances in IT, planning for the support of institutional goals, full use of available pertinent technology from state and other governmental agencies and from other private sources and collaboration with local jurisdictions and agencies in the cooperative use of IT for mutual benefit.
- Administers all bookstore/team shop operations and planning in cooperation with the VP Student Life and Associate Provost. This group works with the contracted bookstore/team shop operator including contract negotiation, textbook sales and buyback, general merchandise sales, trademark and copyright matters, bookstore facility development, maintenance and planning, customer relations and financial reporting.
- Administers in cooperation with the Vice President for Student Life, all operations and planning for food service programs including contract negotiations for food service operations with outside vendors, contract board programs for students, catering capabilities for general college programs, retail operations for use by students and members of the campus community, food service facility development, maintenance, and planning, customer relations, and financial reporting. Assure a positive net revenue stream from food service operations sufficient to significantly support the annual operating budget.
- Administers the college insurance and risk management program in cooperation with the Director of Physical Plant and through an annual review of the college insurance portfolio, development of safety programs, overseeing insurance claims processing and management, monitoring claims histories, and seeking expert opinions on best risk management practices from various sources.
- Administers and provides oversight and direction to the Marietta College Campus Police.
Required Experience & Education:
- Bachelor's degree in business or finance, masters preferred.
- Experience in higher education.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in financial affairs and operations management of a complex organization.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a CPA or graduate degree in business or finance.
Required Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of best practices, current issues, and future trends in higher education.
The ability to think strategically and work collaboratively with President, senior leadership, faculty and staff, and the Board of Trustees in planning and implementing a vision for academic excellence and a sustainable financial future.
Highly developed analytic skills and successful experience in strategic planning, risk management, and long-term financial modeling with the ability to take a broad view of the health of the College and a willingness to balance short-term liquidity with prudent long-term investments in campus facilities, faculty, and staff.
An approach to budget development and management that is inclusive, transparent, and collaborative including the ability to work creatively with colleagues, faculty, and staff to develop new initiatives, solve problems, and allocate resources.
An ability to partner with colleagues to support and enhance a collaborative and effective senior leadership team.
Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to discuss complex subject matter in an easy to understand manner.
High ethical standards and unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
A commitment to advancing workforce diversity, team building, and professional development of staff.
About the Institution
For nearly two centuries, Marietta College has stood as the beacon on the hill for young adults seeking to better their lives and to turn their life's passions into actionable good in the world. One of the finest liberal arts colleges in the nation, Marietta offers nearly 50 undergraduate programs, including the best liberal arts-based Petroleum Engineering curriculum in the nation and an Education program that boasts a 100 percent job placement for its graduates. The College also offers graduate programs in Physician Assistant Studies, Psychology and Athletic Training.
At Marietta, students learn from talented faculty members who are respected in their fields and wholly dedicated to teaching the next generation of leaders. These professors share their knowledge with students and challenge them to develop their skillsets through serious research, experiential opportunities, and internships. Every student completes Marietta's rigorous General Education Curriculum, which builds strong communication skills and exposes students to new ideas and interests.
Our varsity athletic teams compete in the NCAA Division III and against some of the best in the nation as a member of the Ohio Athletic Conference. Marietta has won six national championships and 61 conference titles, including an OAC-record four consecutive men's basketball titles (2014-18).
More than 25,000 living members of The Long Blue Line proudly support their alma mater and help current students gain internships and connections into their chosen industries. This support, in addition to the vibrant growth on campus, is one of the reasons why The Chronicle of Higher Education named Marietta College one of the Great Colleges to Work For.
Marietta's timeless education began in 1797, when descendants of pioneers of the Northwest Territory established the Muskingum Academy. The institution was chartered in 1835 by the state of Ohio, making Marietta College one of 37 Revolutionary Colleges and home to the 16th oldest chapter of the most prestigious academic honorary, Phi Beta Kappa. From its earliest moments until well into the future, Marietta College cherishes its role in educating individuals and inspiring them to Bring Forth a Pioneer!
Living in the Area
With a population of 13,559, Marietta, OH offers a rich history and beautiful area with two rivers, parks, and a vibrant downtown always bustling with activity. Brick streets lined with lush hardwood trees and ornate Victorian homes make Marietta one of the most idyllic cities in the Midwest. National Geographic magazine named Marietta “One of the Best Places to Live” and “Best Adventure Town.” In 2019, the Travel Channel selected Marietta as the most charming small town in Ohio to visit. Described as beautiful and charming, the town offers something for everyone from the walkable downtown district with stores, boutiques, antique shops and galleries, as well as local restaurants, cozy cafes, historic theatres, and museums. Outdoor activities include hiking, cycling, boating, and kayaking. Marietta's cost of living is 22.7% lower than the U.S. average.
Marietta is part of a much larger Mid-Ohio Valley metropolitan area that includes nearby Parkersburg, West Virginia. This area sustains a combined population of around 133,000. Marietta is only a few hours from Columbus, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.
For full consideration, please apply by October 18th.
To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjybbssq
Please apply through the application link and do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are also treated confidentially.
Inquiries and questions: Please send to MariettaVPFinance@acesrch.com
Nominations and referrals: Please send the nominees name, title, and contact information if available to firstname.lastname@example.org
Institution’s EEO Statement
Marietta College is an equal opportunity educator and employer that values diversity. The College seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Marietta College does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation.