Director of Internal Audit
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Chicago, Illinois
- Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 14, 2023
- Finance Industry
- Business Services
- Contract Type
Director of Internal Audit
Finance & Administration Department
Northeastern Illinois University
Position: Northeastern Illinois University, located in Chicago, Illinois, invites applications for the position of Director of Internal Audit in the Finance & Administration Department.
In this role you will:
Under the direct supervision of the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Internal Auditor is responsible for conducting and coordinating the internal audit functions of the University.
- Responsible for overseeing operating internal controls, processes and practices of the University.
- Evaluate the reliability and integrity of information and the efficient and effective use of resources at the university.
- Evaluate, and examine policies and procedures and systems in place at the university.
- Review compliance with policies, procedures and state and federal laws and regulations.
- Participate in process and internal control improvement initiatives.
- Confer with management and staff and meet with other system employees and the general public on a wide range of internal audit issues.
- Assist management of university with identifying and assessing strategic planning initiatives. Support annual risk assessment process working with operations to develop a risk-based audit plan focusing on significant risks to the University's objectives.
- Incorporate training, continuous improvement and accountability.
- Assist individuals who perform operational and financial activities with risk assessments and action plans in their responsibility areas to heighten awareness of major exposures, loss potential, and/or transactional anomalies and facilitate discussions of practical ways to manage or avoid them.
- Act as a liaison with external auditors. Responsible and accountable to facilitate resources and progress tracking of all audit findings. Provide support and execute coordination activities between management, stakeholders, and the external auditors. Draft control deficiencies, risks, recommendations and coordinate efforts to develop action plans and due dates to ensure findings are eliminated in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate high standards of conduct and ethics as well as appropriate judgment, independence and discretion.
- Attend various system meetings to report on progress and changes in system audits.
- Develop positive public relations in all avenues of the State of Illinois.
- Compose, type, and maintain correspondence, reports, and various other material and projects. Submit reports and documents as deemed necessary.
- Attend training, seminars, and workshops as deemed necessary.
- Create audit finding presentations to be shown to the Audit Committee.
- Perform all duties in compliance with safety standards established by the State of Illinois.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
(Position requires a background check)
About Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University's Main Campus is located on 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago. The University offers more than 40 undergraduate degree and certificate programs and more than 50 graduate degree, certificate, licensure and endorsement programs. The University is a federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institution. It has additional locations in the metropolitan area, including the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies, El Centro, Center for College Access and Success, and the University Center of Lake County.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelors degree in accounting or related field, Masters preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) License required. Ten or more years of progressively responsible accounting and auditing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable to the hiring authority. Experience with public entities and Boards. Experience in public higher education or auditing preferred. Knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP), auditing standards (GAAS), governmental accounting standards (GASB) and governmental accounting systems. Ability to understand and apply state laws, regulations and federal compliance requirements.
Salary: $95,000 - $105,000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time, continuing position.
Hours: Monday Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (able to work on occasional evenings or weekends as needed.)
Deadline: Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Applicants are expected to respond based upon the entire job description. You must submit the following online forms (see links below) and send the remaining documents to: DirectorInternalAuditSearch@neiu.edu
Email: with the job title in the subject line
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position;
- Current Curriculum Vitae;
- Three (3) professional references;
- Employment Application;
- Statement of Annuitant Status; and
- Affirmative Action Form.
Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts for all earned degrees will be required of candidates selected for final interviews.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University's positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.
Apply for Director of Internal Audit
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert