Vice President/Chief Financial Officer
The University of Alaska System seeks a highly qualified leader to serve as the vice president/ chief financial officer (VP/CFO), located in Fairbanks, Alaska. The VP/ CFO reports to the president and plays a key role in stewarding, growing, and creating financial sustainability to support the delivery of the university’s mission.
The University of Alaska (UA) is comprised of three separately accredited universities—University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF), and University of Alaska Southeast (UAS). In fulfilling its mission to inspire learning and to advance and disseminate knowledge through teaching, research, and public service, emphasizing the North and its diverse peoples, the university serves approximately 33,000 students on 16 campuses across Alaska. The university supports Alaska’s workforce development and higher education needs by offering certificate and associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degree programs.
This position will serve as chief financial officer of the University of Alaska System and provide strategic direction and overall financial leadership for the university system’s fiscal operations. The main responsibilities include advising on matters related to finance and business affairs; managing the financial condition of UA with an annual budget of nearly $900 million; serving as the primary spokesperson to communicate to all constituents about the financial condition and results of UA; providing change leadership to adapt and transform the financial enterprise to support the Board’s goals and strategic objectives; and overseeing the functions of controller, risk management services, internal audit and compliance, procurement and contract service, and the Education Trust of Alaska.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong background in accounting and/or finance, CPA preferred
- Post-graduate degree with substantial leadership experience preferred.
- Commensurate progressive experience including, but not limited to, successful leadership qualifications in a senior administrative capacity; demonstrated success in leading financial operations within an organization; and/or experience in universities, systems, state government, or similar organizations.
- Successful experience with public/private partnerships (P3), risk management, debt management, and financial systems implementation.
- Experience with building trust, relationships, and effectively communicating with and engaging multiple stakeholders.
- Proven ability to grow, develop, and inspire a team of over 50 accomplished finance professionals.
- Commitment to and understanding of the role of public higher education.
The Search Profile, with additional information about the University, the opportunities for the VP/CFO and instructions for application, may be found at: https://www.agbsearch.com/searches/vice-presidentchief-financial-officer-university-of-alaska-system
The Search Committee will review application materials as received and continue until the position is filled. The deadline for submission of applications for best consideration is November 11, 2022.
Candidates should provide the following:
- Letter of interest stating how their experience and qualifications connect with the required/preferred characteristics and priorities expressed in the leadership profile.
- A curriculum vitae/resume.
- A statement of contribution to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Five professional references with email addresses and phone numbers are provided (references will not be contacted without prior permission from the applicant).
Applications and nominations should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to: UACFO@agbsearch.com
AGB Search is assisting with this search. Nominators and prospective applicants may contact the executive search consultants for additional information:
Dr. Margaret (Peggy) Plympton, Principal
Margaret.firstname.lastname@example.org / 484-554-4542
Dr. Julie Staggs, Executive Search Consultant
Julie.Staggs@agbsearch.com / 571-970-7895
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.