BUSINESS SCHOOL, THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND, BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA
About This Opportunity
We are seeking academic expertise and leadership from senior scholars (i.e., Level D and E in the Australian system, respectively) who are capable of helping us transform education, theory, and practice to meet the needs of future-focused organisations. In addition to research and teaching excellence, we are particularly interested in individuals with an established track record of effective leadership, high-level industry engagement, and an ability to attract competitive grant funding. We welcome applications from excellent scholars in any business discipline area. However, we strongly encourage applicants conducting work that also aligns with our interdisciplinary research hubs and/or our three strategic priorities: Future of Commerce; Digital Management and Marketing; and Responsible Governance, Growth, and Innovation.
- “Future of Commerce” – research relevant this particular priority area may include (but is not limited to): Fintech, Sustainability, Assurance, Audit, Investments, New Economy Minerals and Resources, Technology-Assisted Accounting, Venture Capital, and related areas of future growth. This focal area is particularly relevant to individuals with academic expertise in Finance or Accounting; but as an interdisciplinary priority, it could involve experts from any business discipline.
- “Digital Management and Marketing” – research relevant this particular priority area may include (but is not limited to): Data Analytics, Digital Marketing, Marketing Analytics, People Analytics, Technology Ethics, Data Security, Digital Transformation, Digital Health, and related areas of future growth. This focal area is particularly relevant to individuals with academic expertise in Business Information Systems, Management, or Marketing; but as an interdisciplinary priority, it could involve experts from any business discipline.
- “Responsible Governance, Growth, & Innovation” – research relevant this particular priority area may include (but is not limited to): Sustainability, Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Trust/Ethics/Governance (esp. digital), Tourism, Service/Hospitality, Event Management, and related areas of future growth. This focal area is particularly relevant to individuals with academic expertise in Strategy, Entrepreneurship/Innovation, Sustainability/Ethics or Tourism/Events; but as an interdisciplinary priority, it could involve experts from any business discipline.
This is an exciting opportunity for an Associate Professor or Professor to consistently demonstrate excellence in teaching (including clinical teaching, where appropriate), research and service and engagement. Please find the Appointment Booklet here for more information.
Associate Professor (Level D)
At Associate Professor level, the incumbent expected to undertake leadership roles and have a strong record of supervising Higher Degree by Research students successfully to completion as principal supervisor. Please note that in the Australian academic system, the Associate Professor (Level D) rank is equivalent to a Full Professor in North America or Reader in the UK.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate courses, prepare and deliver lectures and tutorials, and undertake assessment and marking for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Drive the ongoing improvement and development of new programs or a significant aspect of a program (e.g. a major, a clinical teaching unit or a field of study) to meet industry and educational standards to ensure courses are engaging, relevant and contemporary.
- Exhibit exemplary design in curricular and assessment practices that contributes to enhanced student learning outcomes.
- Adapt and introduce novel teaching and learning approaches and technologies (including online learning and alternative teaching methods and resources) to inspire students’ participation and achieve enhanced learning outcomes.
- Maintain a record of outstanding contributions to the field and producing quality research outputs consistent with discipline norms as lead contributor, by publishing in high quality international research journals, other appropriate refereed publications, and conference publications.
- Initiate and lead funding initiatives and applications as chief investigator role in applications for significant research funding to support projects and activities, which includes actively seeking, obtaining and managing research funding.
- Lead the progressing towards transfer of knowledge, technology and practices to research end users through translation.
- Participate in discipline service, including service on leading editorial boards, or other discipline leadership positions
- Encourage, initiate and coordinate strategic collaborative research projects that where possible impacts on policy, practices and/or commercialisation (where relevant) resulting in internationally recognised achievements in the research area.
Supervision and Researcher Development
- Develop and mentor more junior academics and researchers.
- Act as Principal Supervisor to Higher Degree by Research students.
- Demonstrate and lead others in the responsible conduct of research.
Citizenship and Service
- Consistently demonstrate and lead others in relation to the UQ values.
- Make a strong contribution to the governance of the organisational unit, including displaying leadership behaviours.
- Sustain a track record of impact, achievement, and initiative in internal service roles.
- Undertake administrative processes as required.
- Establish a track record of collaboration in relation to external service activities.
- Advance external links and partnerships by collaborating on external activities and sustain strategic relationships with industry, government departments, professional bodies, and the wider community.
Professor (Level E)
At Professor level, the incumbent expected to demonstrate outstanding outcomes in leadership roles and have an exceptional record of supervising Higher Degree by Research students successfully to completion as principal supervisor. Please note that in the Australian academic system, the Professor (Level E) rank is equivalent to a Distinguished or Endowed Professor in North America.
Additional to the duties and responsibilities listed above for Academic Level D, but are not limited to:
- Teach across different settings and lead educational practice and innovative curriculum design including online learning and alternative teaching methods.
- Build and maintain internal and external education collaborations and lead or enable professional learning through advocacy, mentorship, and/or scholarly inquiry.
- Maintain a record of international recognition and leadership to the field and producing quality research outputs.
- Lead significant and strategic research agendas that yield new insights and opportunities to represent and promote the discipline area in leading academic and research forums.
- Drive the development of opportunities for the application of knowledge beyond the specific research area to create an environment of cross collaboration between disciplines.
- Hold leadership roles in discipline service, including service on prestigious editorial boards, or national and international committees.
Supervision and Researcher Development
- Successfully build and lead a research team, developing and mentoring more junior academics and researchers.
- Effectively lead and develop supervisee performance and conduct by providing feedback, coaching, and professional development.
Citizenship and Service
- Provide senior leadership to others in relation to UQ values.
- Make outstanding contributions to the improvement and governance of the organisational unit, including displaying leadership behaviours.
- Show leadership through mentoring, collaboration, and a responsibility for staff wellbeing.
- Act as a leader in service and engagement by sustaining and advancing strategic relationships with industry, government departments, professional bodies, and the wider community.
The roles are subject to the University’s Code of Conduct.
Essential - Level D
- PhD in a relevant business field or a closely related discipline.
- An outstanding established track record of publishing in leading and premier refereed journals.
- Evidence of contributions to the research community such as seminar presentations, acting as a discussant at conferences and refereeing for leading journals.
- Demonstrated leadership and service to domestic or international academic associations, journals, and professional bodies.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain competitive research grant applications.
- A high-quality teaching track record at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as evidenced by teaching performance metrics and the ability to lead doctoral seminars.
- The ability to support and mentor junior faculty.
- Course and program development experience.
- Experience supervising honours and higher degree students, to successful completion.
- Evidence of an ability to enhance linkages with the local community, the larger business community and professional associations.
- Administrative experience and evidence of service contributions.
- High-level communication and inter-personal skills.
- High personal work ethic to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Commitment to upholding the University’s values, and with the outstanding personal qualities of openness, respectfulness and integrity
Essential - Level E
- Demonstrated evidence of effective academic leadership.
- Demonstrated international esteem for expert knowledge in relevant business field or related area.
- Ability to develop innovative courses or programs in relevant business field or related area.
Desirable - Level D or E
- Experience in innovative modes of teaching, including online and blended learning.
- Experience in liaising and collaborating with external agencies to develop cooperative research initiatives.
- Strategic fit to one of the three strategic business streams
What We Can Offer
This is a full-time continuing position at Academic Level D or Level E.
Associate Professor (Level D)
The full-time equivalent base salary (at Level D) will be in the range AUD$146,824 - $161,756 plus super of up to 17%. The total FTE package will be in the range AUD$171,785 - $189,255 per annum.
Professor (Level E)
The full-time equivalent base salary (at Level E) will be AUD$189,130 plus super of up to 17%. The total FTE package will be AUD$221,283 per annum.
For further information about UQ’s benefits, please visit Why Work at UQ and review The University of Queensland's Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018 - 2021.
To discuss this role please contact:
Future of Commerce
Digital Management and Marketing
Responsible Governance, Growth, and Innovation
For application queries, please contact email@example.com stating the job reference number in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
To submit an application for this role, go to the UQ Careers portal and use the Apply button.
All applicants must upload the following documents in order for your application to be considered:
- Cover Letter, which should:
- State the academic level you wish to be considered for (Level D, Level E, or both)
- Indicate your disciplinary affiliation(s)
- Address each of the ‘About You’ section
Please note that you will be asked to add all documents into the one upload box during the application form.
About The Selection Process
Please note that interviews will likely occur in March 2022.
As part of the Selection Process, applicants shortlisted for interview will also be required to present a seminar to members of the school community. Scheduling of research seminars will be provided with adequate notice to shortlisted candidates.
The University of Queensland is committed to ensuring all candidates are provided with the opportunity to attend the panel interviews, however, for those candidates who are unable to attend in person, video interview options will be available.
Sponsorship: Visa sponsorship may be available for this appointment. However, please note that those requiring visa sponsorship will likely be unable to start their appointment until January 2023.
Background Checks: All final applicants for this position may be asked to consent to a criminal record check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position. Each application will be considered on its merits.
The University of Queensland believes in maintaining a safe work environment for all, which is why we are introducing a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that all staff be fully vaccinated, subject to limited exemptions.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Our Diversity and Inclusion webpage contains further information if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: 20 February 2022
Job No: R-02121