Fielding Graduate University
Santa Barbara, CA
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Reports to: President
Position: Regular, Full-Time
Wage Range: DOE
FLSA Status: Exempt
Join our outstanding team! Enjoy 10 paid holidays and 2 weeks' paid vacation, 1 week paid winter break, benefits beyond belief, and excellent learning opportunities!
Applications will not be considered complete unless both a resume and cover letter are uploaded.
Fielding Graduate University seeks a Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
The Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the University is responsible for managing all financial aspects of the University to ensure the long-term health and viability of the organization. This includes providing leadership in the areas of long-term planning, development, and implementation of financial policies, and sound management of fiscal operations. Primary responsibilities include the following.
Planning and Budgeting
1. Coordinate long term financial planning in alignment with the University's strategic plans.
2. Lead the annual budget and five-year financial planning process, including development and maintenance of enrollment model.
3. Work closely with the Provost, budget managers, and Senior Budget & Financial Analyst on annual budget recommendation to the President.
4. Develop and manage an effective financial monitoring system, including administration of budget planning software.
5. Demonstrate leadership in setting tuition rates and fees and communications with the Fielding Community.
1. Responsible for all financial related reporting to the Board of Trustees, senior management and governance groups.
2. Lead accounting staff to produce accurate financial reports, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and best practice within higher education.
3. Provide restricted and endowment funds reporting to support University development efforts.
4. Manage audits as required by regulatory agencies.
5. Manage all tax-related reporting to federal and state government.
1. Lead daily operations of the accounting team, including general ledger accounting, payroll, accounts payable, purchasing, and student accounts billing and collections.
2. Develop, recommend, and implement effective policies and efficient procedures in areas of cash management and controls, accounting, payroll contracts, investments, purchasing, and capital expenditures.
3. Manage treasury activities (e.g., investment management, banking, cash flow, credit line borrowing, etc.) and serve as primary liaison with investment advisors and banking representatives.
4. Serve as Plan Administrator for 403(b) and 401(a) plans and co-chair of the Retirement Plan Investment Committee.
Financial analysis and business evaluation
1. Advise the President and Board of Trustees on broad range of issues that have financial impacts on the University.
2. Evaluate financial aspects of new business opportunities, programs, and grants.
3. Conduct due diligence assessments of ongoing operations and new opportunities.
4. Serve as staff to the Budget, Finance & Audit Committee.
5. Serve as liaison with Senate Leadership Committee and Senate Finance Committee.
6. Work with University Leadership Team, senior staff, budget managers, and committees to assist them with understanding of financial issues.
Federal programs and grant administration
1. Work closely with the Sponsored Research Program Office on federal grant administration.
2. Manage audit and related business office aspects of federal student direct loan program.
3. Ensure compliance with regulations regarding federal grant accounting and financial reporting.
4. Review and approve grant budgets and cash management.
1. Master’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field.
2. Minimum seven years’ experience managing financial aspects of an educational institution or non-profit organization of similar size and complexity to Fielding.
3. Strong knowledge of Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
4. Strong knowledge of financial management systems including Ellucian ERP for general accounting, student accounts and financial aid, Prophix for budget development including enrollment, personnel and operating expense planning, and a variety of banking systems associated with e-commerce.
5. Commitment to ethical conduct.
6. Technical understanding of computerized financial and reporting systems used in higher education.
7. Broad and deep knowledge of accounting principles as they apply to educational institutions.
8. Ability to work effectively with Board of Trustees and senior-level management.
Fielding employees enjoy a friendly and dynamic environment with competitive salaries and excellent benefits which include a 37.5 hour work week, 10 paid holidays and 2 weeks’ paid vacation per year, plus a 1 week paid winter break, medical/dental/vision insurances, Flexible Spending and/or Health Savings Accounts, retirement contributions after one year of service, Childcare Assistance, Tuition Assistance, and professional development opportunities.
Fielding Graduate University utilizes ADP Workforce Now for online applications. You will be prompted to create a user name and password to initiate the application process. Applications will not be considered complete unless both a resume and cover letter are uploaded. Applicants are encouraged to have their employment history, educational information, and professional references on hand while completing the application. The online application process takes approximately 30-60 minutes. Upon completion, applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via email.
Fielding Graduate University is committed to social justice and diversity, and encourages individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Online Application Link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=371bf4c2-8681-458c-8b35-722b1fc8d540&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
ABOUT FIELDING GRADUATE UNIVERSITY
Fielding Graduate University is an innovative global community dedicated to educating scholars, leaders, and practitioners in pursuit of a more just and sustainable world. We do this by providing exemplary interdisciplinary programs within a distributed and relational learning model grounded in student-driven inquiry and leading to enhanced knowledge. Fielding has approximately 1,050 students and 176 faculty members residing throughout the United States and internationally. Please visit our website at www.fielding.edu to learn more.