Senior Accountant, Tax
Johns Hopkins University is one of the world's leading research universities, with an annual budget that exceeds $4 billion. The institution is comprised of approximately 6,500 faculty, 6,200 undergraduate students and 17,600 graduate students across 230 degree programs at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels. The mission of the university is to educate its students and cultivate their capacity for lifelong learning, to foster independent and original research, and to bring the benefits of discovery to the world.
The Johns Hopkins University Tax Office reports through the Controller to the university's senior leadership. The Tax Office is responsible for all the institution's domestic tax matters and is an integral member of this high-performing, client-focused team.
The Tax Office is looking for a motivated individual to fill the role of Senior Accountant. This individual will serve on a collaborative, collegial team that is responsible for ensuring the university's compliance in matters related to its domestic and international tax obligations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
This individual will bring with them knowledge of accounting principles and tax laws, particularly tax laws related to U.S. sales tax. Some experience with other indirect taxes such as VAT and GST is preferred. In addition to this knowledge, this individual demonstrates high levels of competency with Microsoft applications, including Microsoft Excel when performing specific duties and responsibilities, along with familiarity in navigating accounting software. Communication is an integral skill in this role, with regular written and oral communication needed, including the need to explain complex tax topics to individuals outside of the Tax Office who may not be familiar with the tax laws and related concepts. This individual is flexible and easily able to adapt to accomplish management's priorities and goals.
The Senior Accountant will be expected to contribute to:
• Preparation of sales tax returns.
• Preparation of sales tax exemptions.
• Preparation of domestic business registrations.
• Preparation of VAT and GST returns
• Preparation of reports, account reconciliations, and journal entries as part of filings and other projects.
• Review state correspondence and prepare draft response letters.
• Other special tax projects as assigned by the management team
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field.
• Three years of progressively responsible related work experience. If Bachelor's degree is in unrelated field, four years of progressively responsible experience is required.
• Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting with at least four years related work experience strongly preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of laws that apply to sales tax.
• Knowledge of and experience with business process that apply to sales and other indirect taxes.
• Ability to understand the university's accounting system.
• Proficiency in preparing complex worksheets using advance Microsoft Excel features.
• Ability to interact with employees, students, and personnel from other departments.
• Effective writing and communication skills.
• Detail oriented with strong project management skills.
• Proficiency in workpaper documentation skills.
• Ability to perform tasks independently.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
• CPA preferred
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Sr. Accountant
Working Title: Senior Accountant, Tax
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Keswick
Department name: University Tax
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2597051
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.