Johns Hopkins University is one of the world's leading research universities, with an annual budget that exceeds $4 billion. The institution is comprised of approximately 6,500 faculty, 6,200 undergraduate students and 17,600 graduate students across 230 degree programs at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels. The mission of the university is to educate its students and cultivate their capacity for lifelong learning, to foster independent and original research, and to bring the benefits of discovery to the world.
The Johns Hopkins University Tax Office reports through the Controller to the university's senior leadership. The Tax Office is responsible for all the institution's domestic and international tax matters and is an integral member of this high-performing, client-focused team.
The Tax Office is looking for a motivated individual to fill the role of Tax Manager (Accounting Manager). This individual will serve on a collaborative, collegial team that is responsible for ensuring the university's compliance in matters related to its domestic tax obligations at both the federal and state level.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Tax Manager will have advanced knowledge of accounting principle and tax laws, particularly tax laws related to tax-exempt organizations. Manages and sets priorities for staff and activities related to the preparation and filing of corporate filings at both the federal and state level. Will have interaction with General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Sponsored Projects, Development, Office of Investment Management, and other departments to obtain information needed for filings.
The essential duties for the Tax Manager include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the Assistant Tax Director in the oversight of the federal and sales tax compliance for the university and its affiliates.
• Coordinate staff and set priorities for the preparation of:
• Form 990 and related schedules
• State sales tax filings and exemptions
• Prepare and review IRS Form K-1s for unrelated business income and other important disclosures.
• Prepare and review federal and state forms for the Assistant Tax Director's review.
• Research technical tax matters on a variety of tax topics.
• Manage, develop, and mentor staff.
• Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Tax Director.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field.
• Seven years of progressively responsible related work experience. If Bachelor's degree is in unrelated field, four years of progressively responsible experience is required.
• Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Advanced knowledge of the IRS reporting requirements for tax-exempt organizations.
• Knowledge of the unrelated business income rules for tax-exempt organizations.
• Knowledge of sales tax compliance
• Proficiency in preparing complex worksheets using advance Microsoft Excel features, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate, and format data and/or reports.
• Ability to interact with employees, students, and personnel from other departments.
• Advanced written and communication skills.
• Demonstrates strong project management, planning, organization and problem solving skills.
• Advanced workpaper documentation skills.
• Ability to perform tasks independently
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Accounting Manager
Working Title: Tax Manager
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Keswick
Department name: University Tax
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2597043
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.