Chief Financial Officer
5 days left
- Contract Type
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Chief Financial Officer will plan, organize and direct the operations and services of the Finance Department, Grants Administration, and Purchasing, Contracts, Contract Compliance, and Material Management including: budget, finance, general accounting, fixed assets, payroll, project accounting, grants accounting, treasury, long-term planning and debt management.
TO APPLY: This is a continuous recruitment, interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This job description is not part of a job series.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
- Receives general oversight from the CEO and Board of Directors
- Responsible for managing and monitoring work performance of a division or department
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of responsibilities.
- Plan, organize and direct the activities of the finance department.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: comprehensive annual financial report; state controller’s report; organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports; reports to funding agencies; and development and monitoring of organizational and project, contract, and grant budgets.
- Oversee the management of the accounts payable, accounts receivable, grants, and payroll activities of the organization to ensure that transactions are properly reviewed and approved, recorded and reported in a timely manner.
- Develop and evaluate financial plans, reserve strategies and investment practices contributing to Authority resources. Forecast capital, facilities, and staff requirements, and identify monetary resources.
- Monitor development and legislation related to assigned area of responsibility; evaluate impact on Authority operations.
- Prepare the Authority’s multi-year operating budget and develop long-term financial plans and asset management practices to invest revenues and to control expenditures and reduce long-term debt.
- Obtain financial information and prepare timely financial reporting, periodic and special reports as required by law or as requested by the CEO, Board of Directors, other departments, federal, state, and local funding agency.
- Implement fiscal and accounting policies, procedures and processes to address internal controls.
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of potential grants to ensure continued and consistent funding in accordance with fiscal year goals.
- Monitor ongoing grant projects, review progress reports, and evaluate and report on grant effectiveness against original goals for finished projects
- Engage internal stakeholders to understand their priorities and provide sourcing support that meets each department’s needs
- Assess current processes, policies, tools, and systems to identify gaps and develop a roadmap to improve the procurement experience
- Provide direction and oversee the development and maintenance of positive supplier relationships
- Build a best-in-class Procurement organization that leverages the team’s capabilities, creates an environment that is motivating, provides opportunities for development, and maximizes the return on investment of the department
- Collaborate with IT department to modernize the Finance, Grants, Contracts and Procurement, and Materials Management’s use of technology
- Advise and support the CEO and the Board of Directors for Board Agenda items related to financial matters.
- Forecast revenues, evaluate expenditures, and manage the work of staff in analyzing variances.
- Negotiate and administer purchasing, lease, and financial agreements and contracts.
- Monitor and evaluate staff to establish training needs within the department.
- Support professional development and training opportunities for staff growth and satisfaction
- Participate in various cross-functional teams to address overall organizational processes, strategies, and goals.
- Collaborate with SCRRA managers and departments to accomplish objectives and expectations are met.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, feedback, communication, and support to cultivate a positive work environment that celebrates success in our work and mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration or related field.
- A minimum ten (10) years of progressively responsible work experience in public or private sector environment.
- A minimum of five (5) years in a management role.
- A combination of training, education and or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered when determining minimum qualifications. Advanced relevant coursework may also substitute for a portion of required experience.
- Valid class C Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record of no more than three moving violations and no DUI’s within the last three years.
- Master’s degree
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements, Governmental Auditing Standards (GAS), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Generally Accepted Governmental Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
- Financial systems including SAP, Oracle or PeopleSoft or other governmental financial system with project accounting capabilities.
- Public agency investing, governmental and enterprise fund accounting, cost accounting and budgeting
- Investment policies and procedures.
- Financial systems including SAP, Oracle or PeopleSoft or other enterprise software and applications
- Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-133 and the ability to prepare and issue a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Comprehensive and Complex budget development.
- Budget, cash management, payroll, federal grants, fund accounting and treasury.
- Organizational development and program operations.
- Office software, including Microsoft Office and Oracle FIS.
- Effective communication and time management.
- Financial forecasting, planning, and strategy.
- Recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, local community advocates, participants, and employers.
- Foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Identify opportunities for operating efficiencies and oversee implementation.
- Provide clear direction and policies.
- Transition between a stationary position at a desk or work location and move about Metrolink facilities or other work site locations
- Operate tools to perform the duties of the position; such as computers, office equipment and work-related machinery
- Transport equipment or boxes up to 25lbs
- Exchange ideas by means of communication
- Visual acuity to detect, identify and observe employees or train movement and any barriers to movement when working on or near railroad tracks
- Hear and perceive the nature of sounds when working on or near railroad tracks
- Balance, ascend/descend, climb, kneel, stoop, bend, crouch or crawl within assigned working conditions and or locations
Position requires work in a normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, or temperature. Work may also be conducted in outdoor environments, at construction sites, Railroad Track and Right-of-Way environments, and warehouse environments, with possible exposure to individuals who are hostile or irate, moving mechanical parts, and loud noises (85+ decibels, such as heavy trucks, construction, etc.). Telecommuting may be available for this classification.
Southern California Regional Rail Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Authority will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Apply for Chief Financial Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly