The primary responsibilities of this position are to process, review, and analyzes a range of data to ensure accuracy and compliance with established procedures. Performs fiscal and accounting duties by preparing and maintaining fiscal records and reports. Ensures all financial transactions are processed in accordance with the Agency and Department of Accounts policies and procedures. This position will be responsible for processing vendor invoices and other various transactions into the financial accounting system according to the Prompt Pay Act; reconciling small purchase credit card account on a monthly basis; promptly and accurately processing general ledger, cost ledger and budget ledger batches as required.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- High School diploma or GED or any equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and dissolve discrepancies.
- Experience with MicroSoft Office Suite (Excel, Word).
- Experience using automated financial and accounting systems.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP).
- Experience with general ledger and/or bank reconciliations.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare financial reports and statements.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written.
- Ability to work well with others as well as independently.
- Ability to manage multiple work assignments within established time-frames.
- Working knowledge of office procedures, data entry, and record maintenance.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies, procedures and guidelines.
Experience with the State of Virginia’s Accounting policy. College degree in Accounting or Business Administration and/or combination of training and experience preferred. Experience with PeopleSoft, eVA and Cardinal preferred.
Contact Name: Bruce Cottrill
Phone Number: (304) 545-9673
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.