Assistant/Associate Professor in Finance
Job no: 507680
Position type: Faculty Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Applications Open: Mar 26 2021
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Finance Department at the Robert J. Manning School of Business, University of Massachusetts Lowell, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor position, with a focus on teaching and research in any area of finance. The Finance Department at the Robert J. Manning School of Business, University of Massachusetts Lowell, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor position, with a focus on teaching and research in any area of finance. The position can start as early as Sept 1, 2021.
The Manning School of Business is growing at a fast pace and is continuously seeking ways to further enhance the faculty's high level of research productivity. The School is also constantly building and updating instructional program offerings at all degree levels. Faculty are expected to develop a strong record of scholarly work and publications in top-tier journals.
The Finance Department is currently building faculty capacity to deepen its research output and increase program offerings at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The department offers programs at the undergraduate, Master’s, and Ph.D. levels. Faculty and Ph.D. students in the department maintain a high-level research record, with publications in top journals and collaborations worldwide.
The standard teaching load for research productive faculty is four courses per academic year. While classes taught on-load are primarily on-campus, additional teaching opportunities exist and are strongly encouraged, both online and increasingly abroad. Evidence of grant-related research funding is also a significant plus. Faculty are encouraged to develop productive partnerships with other university units, industry, and colleagues from other institutions and countries.
Located 25 miles northwest of Boston, UMass Lowell has over 18,000 students and is one of the largest public universities in New England. The Manning School of Business has over 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students and is accredited by AACSB. The School strongly supports faculty to enhance their research productivity and build program offerings at all degree levels. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to join a developing department and participate actively in advancing research and educational programs.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Ph.D. in Finance from an AACSB accredited business school
- Evidence of (or potential for) ongoing high quality research and publication in the applicant's areas of scholarly specialization
- A record of (or potential for) teaching effectiveness at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain an externally funded research program
- Experience in supervising and advising doctoral students
- Experience in teaching online or web-enhanced courses using the Blackboard Learn course platform or similar platform
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to speak and write English clearly
To qualify for appointment to the rank of Associate Professor, candidates must have an established, sustained record of teaching, service and excellent research demonstrated by a consistent record of publications in high quality, top tier publications. The successful candidate will be required to conduct high-quality research and be actively engaged in service to the department, University, and business community. The ability to mentor junior faculty is a requirement for senior tenure-track appointments.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please contact the University of Massachusetts Lowell Human Resources Department at 978-934-3560 for information regarding benefits and related employment matters or if you have any questions about the position.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter detailing research interests and accomplishments
- Teaching Interests, Experience and Philosophy and Professional Background
- Sample of Scholarly Work/Publication: provide samples of recent publications
- Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness (e.g., student course evaluations, department Chair reviews, teaching awards)
- Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application.