Academic Teaching Staff
University of Alberta
Department of Finance, Alberta School of Business
Academic Teaching Staff Position
Competition No. - A103043295
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
The Department of Finance is accepting applications for a full-time Academic Teaching Staff position for a career term appointment beginning July 1, 2021.
Reporting to the Department Chair, the position will include the following responsibilities:
• Teach a diverse set of finance courses (8 sections) to undergraduate and graduate students, including fixed income, risk management, financial modelling, fintech, and other advanced finance electives.
• Prepare course syllabi, course materials, midterm exams, final exams, and assign grades.
• Evaluate student performance progress and provide appropriate and timely feedback according to department protocols.
• Participating in the School of Business or University governance by taking on internal service roles.
• Build relationships that connects the School (faculty, staff, students) to external stakeholders in the local or global business community
• Participating in activities related to applied research.
• Remain abreast of relevant literature in finance as it applies to their teaching resources and activities.
• Represent the department in Business School committees.
• Participate in department activities including finance seminars and conferences, advising student clubs, and coaching students for case competitions.
• Develop curriculum and material for new finance courses.
• Activities that contribute to teaching and learning, and enhancing the student experience.
• Applicants must have a PhD in finance or a relevant discipline; equivalent combination of education, teaching experience, or industry experience will be considered.
• Demonstrated teaching excellence at the post-secondary level (undergraduate and graduate level). Experience teaching large enrollment sections, as well as experience in teaching MBA and professional masters programs is an asset.
• Applicants must have demonstrated knowledge in developing and using online assessments.
• Experience supervising undergraduate and graduate students.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Facilitation, negotiation and problem solving skills, and an ability to handle challenging student situations.
• Technically proficient in the computer environment and a working knowledge of various applications (programming knowledge in Python and R, and knowledge of applications of data analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence in finance are highly desirable).
The Alberta School of Business is one of the world’s leading institutions of business education and research. Since 1916, the innovative ideas, entrepreneurial spirit and leadership of the School’s more than 31,000 alumni have strengthened businesses and communities worldwide. Our vision is simple, yet powerful: To develop and inspire entrepreneurial leaders from Alberta for the World. Our mission is to excel and lead through research, teaching and learning, and external engagement. We are one of the largest business schools in Canada. For more information about the School, please visit our website at www.ualberta.ca/business. For more information about the Department of Finance, please see: ualberta.ca/finance-department.
Applications should include a curriculum vitae outlining research and administrative experience, samples of research, any available teaching ratings, and the names of three referees who have been asked to send confidential letters of assessment.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience in accordance with the Academic Teaching Staff Agreement (ATS).
To assist the University in complying with mandatory reporting requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (R203(3) (e)), please include the first digit of your Canadian Social Insurance Number in your application. If you do not have a Canadian Social Insurance Number, please indicate this in your application.
Please send applications through e-mail (PDF files) to:
Dr. Felipe Aguerrevere, Chair
Department of Finance
Alberta School of Business
University of Alberta
Interested applicants may apply to: https://apptrkr.com/2115933
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.