Columbia Business School is seeking to hire two or more Research Staff Associates for the Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate, within the Finance Division. The work will include quantitative and qualitative research and analysis projects from conception through publication, collection, coordination, and management of information and data, development of research and teaching materials, and work on special projects with all levels of faculty and staff, relating to the research areas within the Center and Finance division. This position provides an opportunity to gain experience in academic business research with a special focus on real estate finance, securities and mortgage markets, financial intermediation and banking, financial technology, market structure and regulation, housing policy, and the impact of consumer credit markets on the broader economy. This position is a two-year position with a possible extension to a third-year and would provide ideal preparation for a Ph.D. program or other graduate study. For example, past associates have left this position to attend Ph.D. programs at Harvard, Stanford, University of Chicago, Kellogg, New York University and Columbia University.
Specific duties of the Research Staff Associate in the Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate include:
- Develop models and complete programming with software such as Stata, Matlab, SAS, and Access. Perform statistical analysis including running regressions.
- Maintain computer data sets and databases. Assist with data entry and ensure data integrity. Extract and link data from different databases for analysis. Prepare detailed documentation files.
- Assist with data analysis, interpretation, write up and dissemination of findings through the preparation of reports, journal articles, presentations, web sites, and other research outlets.
- Perform case-based research, including work with detailed primary documents.
- Assist in the organization of research programs including conferences, seminars, and workshops, and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Prepare presentations for teaching and research projects.
- Monitor the status of multiple projects and ensure that interim and final deadlines are met.
Applicants for Staff Associate Position are expected to have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent
- Strong programming experience in one or more of the following languages: STATA, SAS, SPSS, Mathematica, Matlab, perl, Java, C++, SQL.
- Organizational ability and communications skills
- Candidates must demonstrate, either through prior work experience or academic course study, an aptitude and enthusiasm for research.
- Work experience in a research role, preferably in an academic environment.
- A degree with a major in economics, business, statistics, mathematics, finance, computer science, or engineering strongly preferred.
The Staff Associate may work with one or more of the following faculty: Tomasz Piskorski, Christopher Mayer, Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh. For more detailed information about the Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate, as well as the real estate faculty and their research interests, please visit: https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/realestate/research/areas
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. Women and Minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
The application must include your CV or resume and a cover letter describing your qualifications and interest in the position. Candidates under consideration may be asked to submit a writing sample.