Director, Research Support Services
The Wharton Research Data Services at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a Director, Research Support Services at WRDS.
ABOUT WRDS: With more than 300 institutional subscribers worldwide, WRDS established itself as the locus for quantitative research and data support services and is recognized by the academic and financial research communities as the leading research and business intelligence platform. As the standard for business research, WRDS provides researchers around the globe with access to a host of financial databases along with high quality research support and tools. Originally developed to support research at Wharton in 1993, WRDS has grown to become a dedicated network of research institutions with over 18,000 research scholars in more than 25 countries. WRDS community consists of prominent universities, top research institutions, and non-profit organizations, including Stanford, Harvard, London Business School, INSEAD, SEC and the Fed, among others.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL: The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania was founded in 1881 as the first collegiate business school and is renowned globally for intellectual leadership and ongoing innovation across every major discipline of business education.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Work with a team of PhDs to contribute to WRDS Research Services through the following:
- Develop research applications intended to improve the research productivity of WRDS community.
- Conduct training seminars on research and data related issues for scholars (Faculty and PhD Students) in finance, accounting, economics and other business disciplines, and assist WRDS users in their questions by delivering best-practice solutions in empirical research.
- Monitor trends in academic research to generate new applications and evaluate potential data sources, which implies active participation in research conferences.
- Advise the data and IT teams on enhancing current products, contributing to the improvement of existing data integrity processes, and participating in the design of new products.
- Work on innovative and value-adding projects to enhance the value of WRDS brand.
- A candidate must have, or be near completion, a Ph.D. in finance, accounting, or economics.
- Broad experience doing empirical research with financial, accounting, and other large databases.
- Solid knowledge of research literature in finance/accounting and strong background in econometrics and statistics.
Outstanding empirical skills with expert knowledge of one of the following programming languages SAS, Stata, Matlab, and R. Experience in Java, Python and Perl would be a plus.