Senior Economist or FSS Senior Analyst (2018-2019 PhD Job Market)
Your future responsibilities
You will support the economic and financial welfare of Canadians and contribute to the Bank’s work at an international level. You will take part in leading-edge analysis, which supports the Bank in its functional areas, and collaborate with your colleagues within the Bank and at other organizations in Canada and abroad. Subject to the needs and interests of the Bank and the employee, senior economists or senior analysts may move to other Bank departments to pursue research of relevance in new or needed areas. More specifically, you will be expected to:
- participate in the conduct of monetary policy, help promote the safety and efficiency of our financial and payment systems, assist in managing the government’s public debt programs and foreign exchange reserves, and support the design, issuance and distribution of Canada’s bank notes
- develop leading-edge research ideas and produce high-quality research papers related to the broad responsibilities of the Bank’s functional areas
- conduct policy analysis and brief senior management on matters related to the responsibilities of the functional areas
- collaborate with colleagues within the Bank and from other organizations to develop research ideas, as well as produce and disseminate research
- build relationships with external parties, e.g., government and international agencies, other central banks, financial market participants and organizations, and outside academics, to share knowledge, research and analysis
- a recent (completed after 1 January 2011) or forthcoming (completed in 2019) PhD in economics or finance
Your knowledge and skills
We will evaluate your application against the key requirements listed below and your education, which must be demonstrated in your cover letter, curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation, and research paper(s) or job market paper.
If you are selected for an interview, you may be evaluated through two interviews, a written assessment and a presentation of your job market paper.
Your application must include the following:
- cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- research paper(s) or job market paper
- three letters of recommendation
Requests for additional information and the letters of recommendation should be sent by email to email@example.com. The letters of recommendation should be sent by your referees.
To apply, click on the link above or visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers.
Applications will continue to be accepted until all positions are filled. We will conduct interviews at the following conferences:
- Canadian Economics Employment Exchange (CEEE) (December 7 – 8, 2018)
- Allied Social Science Association (AEA/AFA) (January 4-6, 2019).
If you wish to be considered for an interview at one of these conferences, you must apply at least one month before the conference, when review of applications will begin.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
The Bank offers a competitive total compensation package that is reviewed annually. The starting base salaries are based on qualifications and range annually between Can$100,117 and Can$133,489.
You may be eligible for a hiring bonus payable as a lump sum payment at time of hire and up to three annual additional payments to a total maximum of up to 30% of your base salary.
You may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting, exceeding expectations or far exceeding expectations (7 to 20% of your base salary).
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension plan
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Must be eligible for reliability status or secret clearance
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.