Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration
Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration
Job no: 497517
Work type: Regular
Location: West LA Campus
Categories: Graziadio Business School
The core pillars of the Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration role are (1) strategic finance skills and leadership; (2) talent development, organizational culture, and human resources administration; and (3) School-wide strategic contribution and leadership team impact.
As a member of the senior leadership team, this position reports directly to the Dean of the Pepperdine Graziadio Business School (PGBS), and has a shared responsibility to execute on the goals and initiatives outlined in our new and ambitious ASPIRE 2025 strategic plan, specifically in the “Talent and Organization” and “Ecosystem” strategic priorities. This will require thought leadership; collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders throughout the University; effective communication, delegation, and orchestration; and a thorough understanding of inter-departmental relationships and dependencies. Functionally, the role requires mastery of the P&L and all finance related and business model related components with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and/or donors.
- Engage with the Dean and other Graziadio senior leadership to formulate and implement strategy; conduct strategic analyses that drive decision making; partner with key stakeholders to ensure execution of strategic priorities, specifically related to the “Talent and Organization” and “Ecosystem” initiatives outlined in the ASPIRE 2025; and continuously monitor progress to assess intended impact.
- Supervise direct reports in the Administration, Finance, Student Systems, and Talent Management offices. This includes holding regular 1:1 and department meetings to facilitate goal setting and task prioritization, reviewing procedures, assisting with process mapping and improvement, communicating performance expectations, monitoring workflow, evaluating performance, enabling a high performance culture, and providing coaching and feedback to support professional growth and the achievement of ASPIRE 2025 strategic goals and initiatives.
- Partner with Graziadio senior leadership to identify and execute actions that drive profitable growth and capture market share; improve operational efficiencies and increase productivity within the budget process (i.e., financial planning and analysis, financial managing and reporting); create informative models and dashboards that clearly illustrate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to help constituents make informed decisions; serve as the Major Area Budget Manager (i.e., final internal approvals, interface with Malibu Finance and Provost’s office on exceptions and policy issues, etc.); design new business and growth models for revenue and margin capture.
- Act as a PGBS liaison to various University departments (e.g., Finance; Human Resources; Registrar; Facilities; IT; General Counsel; Planning, Operations, and Construction).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold the University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Advanced business degree (e.g., MBA) and/or CPA or master's degree coupled with substantial direct experience in finance or accounting roles. 10+ years of related experience in business/financial management with progressively responsible supervisory roles. Solid knowledge of fiscal operation and principles. Ability to develop and present financial data and analysis.
Strong working knowledge of enterprise-wide software solutions (ERP) and budget planning software (Hyperion and Excel).
Professional and diplomatic when dealing with diverse individuals at varying levels throughout the organization. PeopleSoft, Hyperion, Simpler, Microsoft Suite (particularly Excel), G Suite, Skype, computer, phone.
Preferred: Knowledge and experience in human resources and change management. Experience working in an academic administrative setting. Possesse a breadth of knowledge about best practices in all areas of administration, finance, systems, and talent management. Understanding of effective change management processes and strong implementation skills. Ability to communicate and build goodwill with a wide variety of audiences. Knowledge of various Business Intelligence (BI) tools (e.g., Tableau).
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening.
This is a regular, exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Pepperdine University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, disability, or prior military service. Federal guidelines recognize the right of church-related institutions to seek personnel who will support the goals of the institution, including the right to select members of the church to which the institution is related.