Active Management Research Manager
The Active Management Research Manager serves as the subject matter expert on the topic of active management, and acts as an internal and (via coaching others) external advocate for the firm’s strong belief in active management. The position is responsible for designing and leading research and analysis to increase overall knowledge and understanding of active management, including efforts that evaluate the competitive strengths and potential weaknesses of T. Rowe Price investment offerings against benchmarks, passive competitors, and active peer groups. The position also informs and assists firm efforts to develop and deliver key active management messages and investment content to internal and external audiences.
- Design and lead research studies and quantitative and qualitative analysis of key competitors, asset class and/or firm investment offerings to foster development of understanding of key issues related to active management and firm positioning.
- In consultation with firm leadership, marketing, distribution and investments, continuously evolve and improve the messaging and underpinning analysis regarding what is currently known as the T. Rowe Price Three Pillars of Active Management. Coordinate the collection and curation of proof points to support the T. Rowe Price Three Pillars of Active Management.
- Inform and coordinate with marketing leadership and the active management enterprise marketing lead to develop and disseminate key active management messages to internal and external audiences. This would include internal efforts to raise overall associate awareness of and education around the importance of active management to the firm.
- Serve as an external advocate for the firm’s strong belief in active management by providing training and support for other associates who are called upon to express the firm’s point of view on active at client events, conferences, media engagements, etc.
- Collect and evaluate academic, competitor, other industry, and media publications on or related to the topic of active management. Summarize and share key points with internal parties. Maintain a reference library of collected and summarized publications.
Skills & Experience
- Higher degree from an accredited institution
- 5+ years of experience in investment management, academic research, or investment research profession
- Recent quantitative research work in the area of active versus passive investment performance evaluation and familiarity with recent academic work in this field.
- Demonstrated ability to absorb and synthesize investment concepts into research and analysis and to lead analytical projects to conclusion
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact successfully with a broad range of internal constituents, including senior leadership
- Demonstrated ability to form and lead ad hoc project teams
Primary Leadership Competencies
- Influence people
- Think and act strategically
- Communicate effectively
- Drive results and accountability
- Ability to set expectations and negotiate with others
Professional and Personal Characteristics
- High degree of intellectual curiosity
- Highly motivated to contribute to business success
- Ability to think and work independently in an unstructured environment
- Client service mindset: ability to work collaboratively with others and meet deadlines set by others
- Highly analytical/quantitative
- Unafraid to dissent