Compliance Services Director
The Department is seeking a highly responsible individual to manage, direct and supervise the Compliance Services unit, reporting directly to the department's Chief Financial Officer. This position is full time merit position, classified as a Fiscal and Administrative Manager B2.
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
This position will lead and supervise the unit that is responsible for providing reasonable assurance that Department of Social Services (DSS) is in compliance with federal administrative, cost principle and audit requirements related to the department's federal awards, ensuring DSS fully cooperates with and assists external auditors and reviewers, conducting internal reviews of DSS operations, and providing DSS management with an objective assessment of the effectiveness and efficiency of its financial internal controls. More specifically, this position will oversee the following functions:
- Serve as department liaison with federal and state auditors. Provide requested information in accordance with department policy.
- Desk and onsite monitoring reviews conducted to provide reasonable assurance that subrecipients of federal funds from DSS are in compliance with contractual and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) administrative, cost principle and audit requirements.
- Document DSS's system of financial internal controls based on the COSO Internal Control –Integrated Framework and assess whether it provides reasonable assurance that the department's objectives are met.
- Conduct internal assurance engagements of DSS operations in order to detect errors, inefficiencies and irregularities and to make recommendations to improve controls, efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Provide reasonable assurance that DSS is in compliance with the Child Care Development Fund subsidized child care regulations and the State Plan.
- Review the overall DSS Risk Assessment to ensure the most effective use of the unit's resources.
- Coordinate with other oversight groups within the department, such as Division of Legal Services investigators and program staff.
- Respond to legislative inquiries.
The following requirements will determine merit system eligibility, experience and education ratings, and may be used to evaluate applicants for Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System positions not requiring selection from merit registers. When practical and possible, the Division of Personnel will accept substitution of experience and education on a year-for-year basis.) The specific qualifications for a position allocated to this class may vary due to the spectrum of jobs included in this broad classification band. Depending on the duties of the specific job assignment, a position may require specialized and/or additional education, experience, and/or licensure/certification not included in the stated requirements.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 15 earned credit hours in one or a combination of the following: Accounting, Finance, Economics, Public or Business Administration, or a closely related field; and,
Four or more years of professional experience in accounting, auditing, purchasing, budgeting, fiscal management, or in general management with some fiscal responsibility.
(Additional qualifying experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis for deficiencies in the required education.)
(Earned graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the specified areas may substitute on a year-for-year basis for a maximum of two years of the required experience at a rate of 24 earned graduate credit hours for one year of experience.)
- Knowledge of laws, government regulations and agency rules.
- Knowledge of relevant professional audit standards.
- Ability to effectively interact (verbally or in written form) with staff members, Department leaders, outside counterparts and members of the public.
- Ability to measure performance and apply corrections or refinements when milestones are not met.
- Must have the ability to receive, recall and follow communications and complex oral or written instructions efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to review and organize large amounts of detailed information and produce a written report to document findings.
- Must be familiar with personal computer applications for spreadsheets, letters and e-mail.
SPECIAL NOTES: The following qualifications are preferred in an applying candidate, but such qualifications are not required to apply for the position:
- Certified Governmental Financial Manager (CGFM)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Audit experience
HOURS: The work hours for this position are 8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday.
LOCATION: Jefferson City, Missouri (Cole County) - Broadway State Office Building
TRAVEL: Must be willing to travel periodically statewide, including overnight travel.
SALARY RANGE: $66,192 to $78,732 annually. Selected candidate's salary to be commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter that clearly states whether the applicant has supervisory and audit experience; a completed Department of Social Services Application; a detailed resume; a copy of academic transcripts; letters from three professional references; and a professional writing sample to Brenda Becker via e-mail at email@example.com.
RECRUITMENT AREA: Accepting applications from all qualified applicants.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Thursday, June 7, 2018
Applications will be subject to review prior to scheduling interviews.
DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER